Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Owning a Pet lowers Stress, My Opinion

There are several benefits of owning a pet, but do you know that owing a pet can actually reduce stress? Studies have shown that owning a pet can relieve certain health conditions. Owning a pet can even be as therapeutic as yoga and meditation.

Who could resist this face? http://static.desktopnexus.com/wallpapers/6707-bigthumbnail.jpg

“Pets can control blood pressure better than drugs. Inhibiting drugs reduce blood pressure, but they aren’t as effective in controlling blood pressure due to stress and tension. Owning a pet such as a dog may encourage you to get out and exercise, helping to reduce obesity. Also, American studies have shown that patients who owned a pet had a much better chance of surviving for more than a year after a heart attack,” http://preventdisease.com/lifestyle/pets/articles/more_evidence_pets_lower_stress.html

This past May, my grandmother passed away. I have never seen any two people love one another more than my grandparents. Married for 65 years, it’s needless to say that he was very upset and depressed in losing her. I thought that it would be a good idea for him to get a pet. Being old, and somewhat fragile, I figured that a cat would be a perfect fit for him. A cat is a great, loyal, reliable friend to anyone that will give it attention.

Now, four months later, he is gradually doing better, and seems to be much happier. When I asked him why, he told me because he is no longer alone. The cat has definitely helped him in more ways than one. She provides company for him while he eats dinner and she even sleeps with him. This is definitely beneficial to older people who have lost loved ones, like my grandfather, as well as people who have had health problems. Pets tend to ward off elderly depression with just a lick on the hand, or the purr of a cat.

Pets can help reduce stress more than people; even more than talking about your problems with a best friend. Recent research shows when conducting a task that’s stressful, people have truly experienced less stress when their pets were with them than when a friend or family member was present. This reason might be because pets don’t judge us, they just love us.

I know that whenever I am upset or need to talk, I always turn to my cat, Mystic. As crazy as it sounds I’m aware that other people do this as well. It’s just nice to talk and not be interrupted, or judged on what I am saying. Sometimes I don’t want my friends or family to know about things that are bothering me, so I know I can talk to my pest, and they won’t tell anyone.

For those who love animals, me included, it is virtually impossible to stay in a bad mood when a pair of loving puppy eyes meets yours, or when a super-soft cat rubs up against your leg. Pets can be there for you in ways that people can’t. They can offer love and companionship. They also enjoy comfortable silences, keep secrets and snuggle on the couch with you. Pets can be the best antidote to loneliness if they are given the chance.

“In fact, research shows that nursing home residents reported less loneliness when visited by dogs than when they spent time with other people. All these benefits can reduce the amount of stress people experience in response to feelings of social isolation and lack of social support from people”

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/family/family-health/7-ways-pets-lower-stress-and-save-you-money

Pets are not for everyone. They do come with a set of responsibilities that not everyone can handle. However, for most people the benefits of having a furry friend greatly outweigh the disadvantages. When times are tough it is nice to be able to talk to someone who you know is always willing to listen.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it is hard to not be happy when a pet is around. Everyone should have a pet at some point in their life.

    ReplyDelete